Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Epiphany 2016


January 6, Epiphany,
the day I normally undress our Christmas trees.

Instead today I play Christmas music not yet heard
such as Aimee Mann's album....

"Whatever happened to Christmas?
It's gone and left no traces
Whatever happened to the faces
Or the glow......"

No, I'm not yet ready to let go of a tree we put up late,
and the tree has kept green so much longer
in sand in the old ice cream bucket.


January did bring an end to orange in the kitchen,
to those pumpkins that I held onto,
just as I'm holding onto this tree.


Instead I've wanted shining glass...


and greens.

And last night I brought out the three camels
we found at a Goodwill store,
in remembrance of the custom in some countries
where children leave their shoes by the door
the night of January 5th,
along with grass and water for the camels of the Magi.


The camels will go back in their box tomorrow
and I'll probably wake up one day soon,
look at the Christmas tree and say,
"Okay, you're outta here."

Then again some countries don't take Christmas finery
down until Candlemas Day so don't hold me to it.

What about you, is it all down, put away, tossed out?

[And lest you think you've escaped having to see family pictures of our Christmas, I just haven't had time to edit a hundred down to the number I can get away with posting here. ]

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar